Mobile Banking Security Tips
Whether using your phone or a tablet, mobile banking is a wonderful tool that gives you access to your financial world with a touch of a button. Almost all banks and credit cards now have apps that allow you to access your account information, make deposits, complete transfers and make payments directly from your smartphone. While we love the convenience of mobile banking it can also be a way for a thief to obtain your personal information if you are not careful. Here are a few tips to keep you secure while enjoying all of the convenience that mobile banking offers.
- Always download banking apps directly from the banks website or the app store.
- Never download banking apps on “jailbroken” phones. Phones that have been “jailbroken” or modified no longer have the operating system’s security in effect and are more likely to be hacked.
- Always secure your phone with a strong passcode and enable the auto-lock feature in case your phone is lost or stolen.
- Never use public Wi-Fi when logging into the app. That is a common way for hackers to get your personal information.
- Never respond to a text or email requesting your banking/login information. A real bank will never send a request for this info.