With the recent hurricanes we thought it was a good time to send out a reminder about keeping an emergency folder with important details such as account numbers and passwords. We like to call this your "Grab and Go folder". Here is a list of information you should have in the folder.
- Assets: checking and investment accounts, private business interests, location of safety deposit boxes, annuities, individual retirement accounts and 401(k)s, trust agreements, real estate, vehicles, collectibles
- Liabilities: credit cards, mortgages, car payments, cell phone bills, other recurring bills
- Social media/online accounts: passwords and login information for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Amazon, PayPal, eBay, Netflix, Hulu, iCloud or other cloud storage accounts, online photo storage accounts
- Miscellaneous subscriptions/memberships: airline rewards programs, Sam’s, BJ’s or Costco memberships, toll tag accounts, magazines, newspapers
- Insurance: life insurance, long-term care, disability, home, auto
- Home maintenance: water, gas, electricity, telephone, alarm, lawn care, cable television, Internet service
- Medical: medical conditions, medications, emergency contacts
- Personal: burial/cremation preferences, funeral plans, pre-paid funeral expenses, birth certificates, marriage certificates, Social Security card
- Key contacts: financial and legal advisors, doctors, family members, close friends
No one likes to think that something bad will happen to them but it's always good to be prepared in case it does.